Monday, April 6, 2009

With your heart, kindle my heart.

Monday, April 6, 2009
I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags. Even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us.

I know that princess movies and fairy tales are condemned for portraying women as weak and in need of saving. I've heard of the Cinderella complex and the fear that Disney princess movies will make girls grow up with unreal expectations about love. I know about feminism and post feminism. Female empowerment and womyn and grrl and all of that. But there is something about these movies that give me hope. A Little Princess (1995) remains to be one of the most beautiful and heartwarming movies I have ever seen. I remember that my VHS copy of it (which I still have) came with a locket and I sobbed when I lost it. When I was eight, the only place I wanted to visit was India. I didn't care about Paris or Barcelona; only India and the magic that was supposed to come with it. This movie taught me to be a good, selfless person because good people get rewarded, and although my views on that may be a bit jaded, part of me believes in it still. Although it is fourteen years old, the movie is still beautiful in terms of aesthetic as well as story. I love when the friends steal the locket out of Ms. Minchin's desk. I love when Sara gives her cinnamon roll to the poor people on the street. I love when Sara and Becky wake up surrounded by food. I love when Amelia runs away. I always cry when Sara's father gets his memory back.


The last movie I watched (before this) was Aladdin. Even though The Little Mermaid was my favorite when I was little, I think Aladdin is my favorite now. But I'll watch almost anything that has a princess in it.

3 comments:

  1. Disney princesses gave me unrealistic ideas about hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) I, too, love A Little Princess. My sister and I had the tape of it when we were younger and we used to have to watch it on our bunk beds so we couldn't see each other cry (we're really weird about stuff like that, hahahaha) during the bit where the poor girl is selling flowers and Sara gives her the bun.

    b) Any Disney princess film makes me happy. I never really liked The Jungle Book or Lady and the Tramp that much - no pretty girls to keep me interested! I need my Cinders and my Ariel and my Aurora! The animals? Eh, not so much (the Aristocats is my only exception. Probably 'cause it's French); if there aren't pretty girls in pretty clothes, I'm generally not interested. I didn't like Pocahontas because there were too many animals and not enough magical moments. Mulan has the best songs of any Disney movie ever, in my opinion.

    Oh, and even in spite of its lack of pretty ladies, both Toy Story films remain in my favourites of all time. Mainly because they're so colourful. I'm such a four-year-old, hahaha.

    I think I'm your blog's biggest fan.

    Love, Chess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Princess Principle to monitor my own behavior as a child... Or, that is, to aspire to grace and kindness all the time.

    ReplyDelete

 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates